Our Inclusivity Charter:
Our Charter states that as the Executive Committee of West Berkshire and Newbury Liberal Democrats we commit to:
- building relationships with all communities within our local party area, in particular those from diverse ethnic backgrounds, so that we can better represent the issues facing the people of West Berkshire.
- responding immediately to reports of discrimination, prejudice or unconscious bias within the local party, using the Party’s procedures as appropriate.
- ensuring there is a balance of campaigns run on behalf of our local party that take account of the needs of diverse ethnic communities within West Berkshire.
- setting up a system of mentorship for new or potential members from diverse ethnic backgrounds, to introduce them to and encourage them to take on the roles of member, local councillor, local party officer and activist.
- ensuring our events, including party meetings, are on balance consistent with the Liberal Democrat Accessible Events checklist so that no minorities are potentially excluded. This includes ensuring:
- a balance of timings and locations for our meetings/events to ensure all people in the local community have the opportunity to attend.
- childcare or relative care provision is not an impediment to attending our meetings and events or, where appropriate, people are encouraged to bring their children. This should include the provision of financial care support, in cases of need, to allow meeting/event attendance by those who are normally constrained by child or relative care duties.
- when local party meetings/events are open, we as Exec members seek out local people, especially those from diverse ethnic communities, to ensure all such attendees are greeted and made to feel comfortable at the meeting, and that contact with these attendees is maintained afterwards to develop an ongoing relationship with them.